For some women with markedly reduced ovarian reserve, low egg quality, and prior unsuccessful fertility treatments, consideration for donor oocytes enables them to achieve pregnancy and complete their family. Psychological studies indicated that families that used donor eggs function as normally as other families.
Most commonly an anonymous donor is used. Sometimes a known donor (e.g. one’s sister) is used. She will undergo ovarian stimulation followed by oocyte retrieval and fertilization using partner or donor sperm. One or two embryos are transferred to your uterus after preparation of its lining using estrogen and progesterone. The rest of embryos, if any, are frozen.
We extensively screen your donor prior to starting the process to minimize the chance for transmission of genetic or infectious disease and maximize the yield of good quality embryos.
AT NEW YORK CITY IVF WE ARE COMMITTED TO YOUR SAFETY, YOUR BABY’S HEALTH AND THE SAFETY OF YOUR DONOR.
- Detailed medical, surgical and gynecologic history
- Donor ovarian reserve: Donors 32 years or younger are selected. Vaginal ultrasound as well as blood tests identifies ovarian reserve in their ovaries. Only young women with excellent ovarian reserve can proceed to be egg donors.
- Detailed family history and genetic counseling. We screen egg donors for the largest number of genetic diseases available.
- Psychological evaluation. A psychologist evaluates the donor for stability and suitability for donation.
- Infectious disease: donors are tested to a large battery of diseases as approved by FDA then tests are repeated few days before egg retrieval.
- Drug screen at inception and then unannounced at anytime during the cycle.
You and your partner are encouraged to speak to a reproductive psychologist before proceeding. You are also screened for infectious diseases and your partner undergoes a sperm analysis. Your uterine cavity is tested for any abnormalities.
Moreover a ‘prep’ cycle is conducted prior to the actual cycle to make sure your uterine lining develops to a receptive thickness and pattern.
For the majority of families, egg donation is very satisfying because of its high success rates (65% live birth per cycle and much higher if frozen embryos are taken into account). In addition it helps men and women to experience the blessing of parenthood in a relatively short period of time.